|January 11, 2014|
|7:00 pm||to||9:00 pm|
A toast to 2014! Join us at this dance to bring in the new year with DJ Karl. The Arc of Delaware is hosting this event on Saturday, January 11 from 7p.m. to 9p.m. at The Moose Lodge in New Castle.
Location: The Moose Lodge, 621 South DuPont Highway, New Castle, DE
Refreshments provided. Guests ages 18 and older are welcome to attend. RSVP to email@example.com or call 302-996-9400 – ext 107.
|March 14, 2014|
|7:00 pm||to||9:00 pm|
The Mid-Del Committee is hosting a St. Patrick’s Dance on Friday, March 14, from 7p.m. to 9p.m. at Cheswold Fire Hall.
Location: Cheswold Fire Hall, 371 Main St. (Rt. 42), Cheswold, DE.
Sponsor: Silver Lake Center
For more information, contact The Arc (302) 736-6140. Click here for the 2013-2014 Recreation Schedule.
Supporters walk the Monster Mile for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities
Friends of The Arc of Delaware joined together on Saturday, October 19, 2013, to celebrate the organization’s 60th anniversary at Dover International Speedway. Over 50 people, including individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities and their families, walked the Monster Mile to raise funds and awareness for The Arc.
This is the first year that The Arc of Delaware has participated in Monster Miles for a Cause, an annual charity event held at the Speedway. Funds raised will support the Mid-Del Committee of The Arc of Delaware, located in Dover, which provides services to persons in Kent and Sussex counties.
“We wanted to do something unique as part of our 60th anniversary celebration – this event was a great opportunity to see the inside of this nationally televised venue and to bring together supporters of The Arc from throughout the state,” said Merry Jones, Vice President of the Board for The Arc of Delaware. “Everyone who participated really enjoyed themselves. We are grateful for the support shown at Monster Miles for a Cause for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities.”
This year’s event featured seven organizations, including a marathon, two 5ks, and numerous walks around the track. A variety of activities including live music and vendors were also available to participants in the event.
The Delaware Transit Corporation is proposing significant changes to para-transit services, which may impact you and your family. The changes are scheduled to take effect on March 2, 2014.
Public Hearings are scheduled beginning next week – all sessions are from 4pm to 7pm at the following dates and locations:
- October 29: Double Tree Hotel, 700 King Street, Wilmington
- October 30: Del Tech Terry Campus, 100 Campus Drive, Dover
- November 5: CHEER Community Center, 20520 Sand Hill Road, Georgetown
- November 6: Embassy Suites, 645 S. College Avenue, Newark
See page 4 of the DART Transit Redesign Plan Proposal for details of the changes. These changes, which especially effect Kent and Sussex counties, include:
- Providing ADA-compliant para-transit only within a ¾ mile corridor of fixed route service.
- Outside of the ADA-required para-transit corridor, accessible travel will only be booked based on availability of space for that request time.
- Negotiating pick-up times up to 60 minutes before or after the requested time.
- A new status of “conditional eligibility” for riders who can use some fixed route service but not all.
- A standardized certification and re-certification process for para-transit eligibility.
- Eliminate the clause that exempts medical trips from counting against the number of times a rider can miss their reserved ride, and increased enforcement of that limit.
If you are concerned about the proposed changes to para-transit services, you may submit your written testimony on the public hearing comment form or mail your comments to DART First State Public Hearing, P.O. Box 1670, Wilmington, DE 19899-1670.
|September 14, 2013|
|10:00 am||to||3:00 pm|
Delaware People First invites you to a car wash and bake sale! Donations accepted and appreciated.
Location: Grace Lutheran Church, 2033 Graves Rd., Hockessin, DE 19707
Rain date: Sat., Sept. 21.
Please print this flyer and spread the word.